Sunday, April 10, 2011

High on possibilities

Originally released for publication October 21, 2009
Hey, Bubba, watch where you’re going.

“Sorry, Steve, guess I was thinking while walking.”

You do realize, don’t you, that you’re headed into the library?

“Very funny. I thought I’d do a little research on raising marijuana since the feds say they’re going to stop stepping on state laws legalizing the stuff. You know, farmers have had it rough and it would be a great cash crop.”

Whoa, there, big guy. You do know they’re talking about medical marijuana, such as that prescribed by physicians to people in chronic pain?

“Oh, guess I missed that part.”

And, not to bring you down too suddenly, but Texas has not legalized marijuana for medical purposes. You’d have to move to New Mexico, Colorado or maybe even California for that. In fact, there are only 14 or 15 states that have done so.

“So, it’s still just as illegal here.”

Afraid so.

“Drat. I was hoping for a little economic boost. Are you with me on this?”

Frankly, I don’t see why marijuana isn’t decriminalized altogether.

“Wow, didn’t know you were a stoner.”

Like a lot of people, I suspect, I have never tried marijuana. Indeed, I don’t know for a fact I’ve been around when anyone else was smoking dope ... guess it’s a reflection of the company I’ve kept over the years.

“So, I guess you want it legalized so you can try it without fear of being arrested.”

No, I doubt I ever would. I’m looking at the issue from purely logical angles.

“You mean like creating a new cash crop for farmers?”

For one, yes. It would mean the money spent for weed would go to legal farmers here instead of drug cartels and clandestine farmers here and in other countries who demand black market prices. Remove the dangers of trafficking and the prices would go down, which should mean users are less likely to resort to property crimes to pay for it.

“Yeah, but then the government would lose all the money it makes from fines.”

It is doubtful they make as much as they spend trying to control marijuana. But you’re forgetting government’s response to any new product line.

“Taxes!”

Right, just like cigarettes and alcohol, marijuana would be taxed. In fact, the state of Texas already has on the books a tax of $3.50 for each gram of products containing marijuana, just one more charge to throw at dealers.

“So, legalizing it could be profitable for the government.”

Immensely, I suspect, because it would also cut a huge chunk out of what we spend on keeping marijuana users in jail, not to mention the court costs to get them there or the lost productivity while they’re behind bars. I've seen estimates of $215 billion a year.

“Or the ruined careers.”

Good point. Plus, the Department of Justice memorandum that sent you scurrying to the library stated that marijuana distribution in the United States remains the single largest source of revenue for the Mexican cartels.

“So, we should fight it then, right?”

Well, that’s what they suggest. I think history proves that we’re playing right into the cartels’ hands and there's an organization of cops, prosecutors and judges who agree. If we legalized it, then the drug cartels would be cut out. That is, they would have to compete in the open market and they would suffer a significant drop in income.

“And history shows this?”

Do you remember Prohibition? In 1920, alcohol became illegal in the United States. The result was that mobs and gangsters got into the business big time. There was money to be made, not to mention gang wars and killings, similar to recent headlines out of Mexico.

“One last argument: We don’t want legalized druggies running rampant.”

True, but it would still be illegal to misbehave. Driving under the influence would be just as big a crime as before, for example. And maybe, if we don’t have squads of officials trying to intercept marijuana traffickers, we’ll have a few more cops on the streets to guard against intoxicated and distracted drivers.

“OK, that’s all well and good, but now I must find another revenue stream for myself since I can’t grow grass. Hey, maybe San Augustine grass would be a good idea.”
(c) 2009 by Steve Martaindale

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely with you on that. I can't for the life of me understand why alcohol, a much more dangerous drug, is legal and pot isn't. Of course, I think anyone driving under the influence of alcohol, even a drop, should be sent to prison for a long time. But, I've had some experience on the receiving end of a drunk driver so I may be a little biased. And, if someone driving under the influence of pot hits you it won't hurt because he will only be going five miles per hour.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete